Tuesday, March 03, 2009

On generosity...

Tuesday 3Mar09 – An epiphany from last week: In Mosiah 4 (16-25) it talks about how we are supposed to give of our means if we have it. If we don’t, are our hearts willing to do so if we had the means? v.16 talks about the beggar putting up his petition in vain, that he perishes. Notice that the scripture doesn’t say anything about approving of what the $ is going to, but that we are to give, regardless of the circumstance. People may ask me for $. If I have it to give, I will give it. The requirement is more for the giver than the receiver: I become holier as I divest myself of selfishness and judging of others. OK, so he’s going to buy liquor with it. He will make his choice, and I will make mine. She’ll put the $ I give her to poor use because she can’t manage it. That’s fine also. It is better for me to give what I can than it is for them to receive it. I am only asked to give up part of what isn’t really mine anyway: the means that God has blessed me with. Isn’t it all His anyway? Besides, how can God be merciful with me if I put pre-conditions on how, what and why I will give, and still be merciless?

   Helaman 10-11 – Men are so quick to do evil, and extremely fast to return to their old, sinful habits. How long does the nuke-of-destruction have to hover over me before I wise up and repent? How long will God be merciful with me and give me time to shape up?

 

0 comments: