Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I got this gem today, unsurprisingly from 'Anonymous', in regard to my last post about sustaining the law...

Who are you, and what happened in your life that made you so judgmental and self-righteous? There's not a bit of humor on this site - at least, I didn't find any before I gave up digging through older posts. I'd say you're a typical Mormon, but usually they're just uptight about everyone else. I guess if venting online helps you keep your cool in person, go for it.”

 

   How nice that someone doesn’t have the courage to write out, specifically, what it was that they disagree with, nor attach their name to their comments, so that there can be some sort of understanding or dialog. Anonymity is the shield of the ignorant, permitting them to sling their stones without fear of reprisal or response.

   Further, it is glaringly ironic that I am called uptight, self-righteous and judgmental by someone who is more obviously these exact adjectives themselves.

   Of course, you, sir or madam, may have mistakenly thought that this is a humorous site, dedicated to giving cheap ‘yuks’ to the populace. I’m not sorry to disappoint you. I rarely try to entertain anyone; rather, I attempt to bring my unique point of view to topics I find to be relevant. This site is more for myself, and to let those who know me know what I am thinking about.

   The only judgment I passed was that I said he, the return missionary, had lied. No vilification, no hate-mongering, no name-calling. I do still wonder what the Church’s response to this will be, but to me, it doesn’t matter. The Church should obey the law, which says that illegal immigrants are, by their very sobriquet, illegal. However, you can’t hold the Church responsible for the actions of people who either lie to hide their situation, or have rationalized their way out of it. Again, it is the principle that what the Church teaches is true, and not how the members choose to apply those principles.

   One of the principles that the Church teaches is responsibility for a choice: if you choose to lie about your citizenship status and you are caught in the lie, you have to be held responsible for it. Now, I know that ‘choice and accountability’ is a foreign concept to a lot of people, but it’s one I uphold and try to live: those who know me know the struggles I have had, and still have, in coming to terms with my poor behaviors.

   I am no better than anyone else, nor do I claim any moral superiority. We are all trying to move forward as best we can and know how. I only say that if a person lies that they be held responsible. And if the Church has to choose where it stands, make other religions do the same, so that all are on an equal footing. That is my position- equality for all, and not some sort of ‘Animal Farm’ where some are ‘more equal’ than others. Ultimately, if the law is selectively enforced, then anarchy can only be close behind.

 

If you are going to anonymously call me the same names that you yourself personify, being either unwilling or unable to back it up with proof or evidence, then you, sir or madam, have no place in calling for me to re-evaluate my position.

2 comments:

Yasmin said...

I expected an indignant response filled with arrogance and playground rebuttals, and you didn't disappoint.

Daishi said...

Indignation: anger aroused by something unjust, unworthy, or mean.

Arrogance: exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner.

I said before that I am no better than anyone else; on the contrary, I feel I have more to learn and to change about myself than most other people. I do not exaggerate my importance in the least. That is why I would like to know why you feel the way you do, so I can understand.

I'm not angry, only bewildered at your apparent desire to poke at others while not contributing a whit to my understanding of myself or why you say these mean things about someone you don't know. And you have yet to make any sort of constructive approach to your position. So, I'll start...

Why do you say I am arrogant? Is it because I expect people, myself more than anyone included, to be held responsible for their actions? Isn't part of society's problems today a direct result of lack of responsibility?

Do you assume I am arrogant, since you obviously don't know me, because I am LDS? Do you know any LDS people personally, or do you repeat what you have heard others say? I challenge you to make the effort to either learn about what the Church teaches, or to get to know your LDS neighbors.

Do you think I am arrogant because I know that my beliefs are correct? If so, do you not feel the same about your beliefs?

I don't know what you mean by 'playground rebuttals', except that my reasoning must therefore have seemed childish or ineffective to you. If so, I am sorry. I try to spell my reasoning out as best I can. That doesn't give you any right to attack me personally in an ad hom attack. If you don't agree with me, that's fine. Tell me why you don't agree and what you don't agree with so that I can understand.

Are you upset with me because I said that other religions should be held to the same standard concerning illegal immigration as the LDS church will inevitably be held? If so, isn't equality what we all strive for?

Again, I am apologetic if I still don't understand why you disagree with me. Please tell me why you feel the way you do, so I can change my behavior. I really do want to understand your position.