Monday, February 09, 2009

An interesting article...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/02/09/muslims.america/index.html

 

   Basically, the article talks about a university group that goes along through the US, checking out the reactions of people to Muslims. Mostly, the reactions of people seemed to be positive, not full of bigotry and animosity, like I thought it would be.

   I think this is a very good idea, yet I am still saddened that there is still so much hatred-most of it blind. The question they said they were asked ‘Do Muslims love their children’ just makes me shake my head in despair. Of course they love their children. Do you really even need to ask that question?

   The problem with Islam is that the scriptures have been wrested/twisted from their true meaning, allowing fanatics and extremists to do terrible things in the name of their faith. Those few do not represent the overwhelming majority of the faith’s adherents, but most people forget that. Possibly the other problem that Islam has (and I am not an expert on the religion, this is only my speculation) is that it isn’t a centralized religion: there is no one ‘leader’ to receive current instruction to then pass on to the faithful, or to discipline members. It seems to be very decentralized. Mecca is the spiritual center, but no one can receive revelation in order to counter incorrect doctrine.

  This made me realize just how blessed I am to know that God speaks to me today, through His chosen prophet. There is no ambiguity in the scriptures, and questions can get real, current answers. I am not bound to the past, but can live in the present secure in the knowledge that God directs His servants.

 

   The reason I thought that this was a good article is because it seemed to show that the level of intolerance towards Muslims has dropped, and that people are more accepting of others. This is a good thing. I think it is so easy for people, myself included, to harshly judge others, and be uncharitable, because others of the same faith do horrible things.

   Judging, I think, is an almost universal sin. We get caught up in our differences, and start to justify our own shortcomings: ‘Well, I may have problems/sins/hang-ups/whatever-it-is, but I’m not as bad as that person over there.’ What I forget is that the sins/problems/hang-ups/whatever-it-is I have, keep me just as in need of the Atonement as their problems do. I am not better off than they are. I am just as far from God as they are, just as fallen, just as in need of Help and Guidance as they are. In a lot of ways, we/I may be worse off because we have the true Gospel, and fail to live valiantly, are lazy, shirk our duties, and/or fail to fully repent. I have no room to judge, because we are all, as God’s children here on Earth, equal.

0 comments: