Friday, November 03, 2006

This is NOT a rant...

but I take issue with this article.

There is a better way to prevent this from happening, and it would remove a whole lot of other problems: global warming, water pollution, deforestation, ozone depletion, oil dependence...The list goes on.

The solution? Be vegan!

I understand that there are 1 billion people who depend on seafood for their protein. I don't have a problem with that. But, why can't Americans cut out their seafood intake? We don't depend solely on fish for our protein, so why don't we take it away? Wouldn't that help alleviate the 2048 collapse?

I'll tell you why. It's either one or any combination of these reasons: because it would be difficult. Because people see animals as resources to be exploited, not as animals with feelings, not as God's creations that have feelings and souls; because people are addicted to their 'carnal' pleasures. They operate under the fallacy, fed to them by the animal exploiters, that 'animal' protein is better than plant protein. They also lack the imagination to be adventurous in the foods they eat. They also are lazy, and don't want to spend the time to cook their food.

Some parts of the world don't have a choice in what they eat, or where they get their protein. As Americans, the overwhelming majority DO have a choice. But, they choose to be lazy, buying into the stereotypes fed to them by manipulative industries.

Now, I know that people are gonna feel indignant, and feel that I have maligned them. I promise that that has not been my intention. I merely saw another solution to the problem stated in the article, and I can give just as much evidence to support my position as others can give to defend theirs.

Ultimately, the choice to be vegan resides within the mind and soul of every person, and, like the gospel, can't be brought about by facts, figures or debate. It must come through correct information, clearly presented in a caring manner.

A good book that converted me is 'Diet for a New America' by John Robbins. I found it quite informative, and full of INDEPENDENT sources to back his opinions and observations.

*whew*

OK. I'm done
.

On a different note...check this and this out. They are game video previews for the new Nintendo system and Legend of Zelda game that are coming out on 19 Nov 06.

After watching those, I figure that I'm definitely gonna be ensnared by that game and system, despite its unconventional controllers. Sooner or later, it's gonna happen. "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

And lastly.....4 LINKS!!!!! Whoo hoo!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another solution to be considered is the Word of Wisdom; to eat meat sparingly, and with thanksgiving. A healthy dose of moderation never hurt anyone (or anything) that I know of.

Daishi said...

Leah said: Hi Brother. Hope you're doing better today...I have a few questions and I mean no offense, I just hope you can shed some light on this subject because I like to compare all sides. You know I'm in full support of the Vegan lifestyle, since I'm semi-veg ;) . We were raised to "eat meat sparingly". My question is this- Who decided that plants are NOT Gods living creations, therefore, worth growing and eating? Where is the line drawn? A tomato plant lives AND breathes, yet it's ok to slaughter that plant?!(I know we're not big fans of tomatoes, but let's set that aside momentarily) These fruits and veggies are God's creations too and who is speaking for them?! People say they're speaking for the animals since they can't speak for themselves. Who's speaking out for the carrots?! Shouldn't the focus be on inhumane treatment of animals since that's really the issue on hand? Raising animals in bad conditions just to slaughter them, I can see the wrong in that. But why is it okay to raise fields full of potatoes for the same purpose? They're alive too. I don't understand, but I hope you can help me. I figure you'll have some good insight on this. These questions may seem silly, but I'm seriously curious about this, and I would choose an apple over chicken any day!

Daishi said...

In D&C 89(yes, I'm breakin' out the scriptures!)it says that grains and fruits are supposed to be our food, and that animals are supposed to used ONLY in times of famine, cold weather or necessity. I also think that plants are more prolific than animals and mature more quickly. Trees can produce fruit every year after an amount of time, and so can other kinds of seeds. Also, plants don't have brains and can't think for themselves. They react, but have no independent thought capabilities.

Anonymous said...

So what's wrong with eating cheese and drinking milk (I ask this as someone who loves cheese, but never drinks milk)? D&C 89 doesn't prohibit those things in the least bit. Touching on what Leah said, if the animals are treated properly, where's the problem in that?

Daishi said...

The problem with milk and cheese is that you still have to manipulate the cow to achieve the results: the cow must be pregnant in order to produce milk. Therefore, in order to produce milk continuously, the cow must be pregnant continuously. I'm not a woman, but I wouldn't want to be pregnant all the time. Neither do any of the women I have talked to. Also, cows (or anything else) aren't designed to be pregnant all the time. It's unnatural, and it destroys them prematurely to be in such a state all of the time.

Anonymous said...

So assuming you get your milk from a cow that isn't manipulated into becoming pregnant, there's no problem?

Daishi said...

Except that you are taking away the calf's food. It's the same for bees and honey. That's the bees food, not the calf's...

Ummmmmm....yeah...

Anonymous said...

So what is vegan cheese?

Anonymous said...

Nevermind - I looked it up.