Thursday, December 07, 2006

I'm not sure how coherent this will be...

...but it saddens me just how much intolerance and/or hate and /or indifference is in the world. It almost seems as though peaceful coexistence is an empty platitude mouthed for the benefit of the poor sheeple who are expected to remain pliant.

Angnostics and atheists decry the supposed fallacies of organized religions and question the believers' sanity in believing in things so obviously false and unproveable, organized religions preach intolerance and bigotry towards their fellowmen, road-rage is rampant, and indifference towards others is rife.

And the indifference isn't only towards other people, but also towards the things we belive. I wonder what the percentage of church members is, in any religion, that have testimonies of their faith. Strong, Mother Teresa/Pres. Hinckley types of testimonies. Religion seems to be a thing practiced on Sunday, and rarely if ever implemented in a person's life. I suppose it has always been that way, but I can only wonder at how much better would the world be if everyone loved everyone else and helped them, according to their religion's dictates.

Why can someone believe in no Higher Authority, but if I do belive in God and Jesus, why do they attack me for my belief? Am I the only one who sees a double standard here and a inherent weakness in the believers' position? I'm not saying that the position is weak, only that by proclaiming a belief in something, say Christianity, it limits the kind of responses to the attacker.
Because the attacker will invariably deny the reality of a person's feelings, and thus their testimony, and the beliver is limited by his Christian beliefs towards patience, tolerance and love. NOT that these beliefs make the person weak. But if you are taught not to attack a person's beliefs and to be tolerant, you will feel sadness and sorrow for the other's intractability. Hopefully you will also share your testimony, even though it might ultimately be a futile endeavor. But that will be the extent of your involvement.

I suppose that contention/attacks on others will never be a viable method of conversion. Helping others to feel the Spirit through truth is the most effective method. It just seems that there is so little opportunity to share the Spirit through the Internet.

My disclaimer is that I still have a testimony of the restored Gospel, and that it is true. Prophets lead us through current revelation.

I think I have a problem with the "meekness is not weakness" thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What prompted this?

Daishi said...

Here is the thread. I don't know if you can see or read it. You may have to be registered to read it. Let me know.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/28609695/m/186003412831