Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I knew there was a reason I didn't like college...

Your link for the day.

The article says that more homework does not a genius make, more or less. I am inclined to agree, since after about 90 minutes I start to burn out. I can't imagine what would happen to a 4th grader who is, right now, probably saddled with at least 90 minutes.

Repeat after me: Counter-productive.

The surest way, at least for most people, to discourage them from doing something is to make it difficult, frustrating and not fun.

Makes me wonder why so many kids are on Ritalin. School isn't fun, so they make their minds go elsewhere. I'd be hard pressed to pay attention if I knew I was gonna be hit up for 2 hours of homework every day. And I'm 28! Not 10.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your link doesn't work, so I hope I'm not referring you to the same article.

This article on Slate makes an argument against homework. It's comprehensive, and for the most part makes sense. With this paragraph, however, she undercut much of what she'd been saying:

"When homework boosts achievement, it mostly boosts the achievement of affluent students. They're the ones whose parents are most likely to make them do the assignments, and who have the education to explain and help."

What that means is homework can be beneficial, under the right circumstances, thus turning the argument against homework from epistemological speculation into a sociological puzzle.

Daishi said...

Thanks for the heads up on the link. I found the article again and re-linked it.