Thursday, September 07, 2006

"I'm not socially inept..."

Your link for the day.

There is no substitute for having a real life. But, I agree that these sorts of games help foster interaction that a person might not have normally had. However, how much interaction can you have, realistically, when you are power-leveling, leading your 40-man guild on a raid against the Horde or camping the spawn?

I suppose that if you log in to interact rather than play, it could be said that you are wasting your money. But, waste like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Just seems like for $15 per MMORPG per month you are logged into, you could spend your time a bit more...healthily/productively.

That's my opinion. Do what you want.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused - aren't you a self-proclaimed gamer? What's the difference?

(I'm not even baiting you this time - this is genuine puzzlement)

Daishi said...

The difference, I think, is that I have a life- a wife, a church calling, a job, and my life is not devoted to gaming. I love games, but I don't play online, nor spend $15 per month per game to waste my life away.

I suppose I don't feel I fit the stereotype of a gamer: sitting in my parent's basement, single, in the dark, with a Mountain Dew IV drip. My computer is almost 7 years old, and I don't have any of the latest games. I just don't feel like a 'true gamer'.

But again, what I consider a waste may seem like a profitable expenditure to someone else.

I figure I don't need to pay someone else to waste my life away. I'm quite capable of doing that on my own. :D

By the way, I HATE being baited...Please don't do it anymore.

Anonymous said...

Well, by "baiting", I meant trying to get a conversation going - I was trying to coax a discussion out of you. I often remind myself that others may not like having their ideas questioned, but it's a tough penchant to break. I'll stick to hoping more people will raise questions about my ideas on my site. Sorry to have upset you.