Friday, August 04, 2006

But, it's uncomfortable!

I thought this was kind of sad.

To me, it's almost incomprehensible that someone wouldn't wear their seatbelt while driving. I feel uncomfortable if I drive from the lower driveway at home to the upper one without my 'belt. I've been that way as long as I can remember. And although I feel uncomfortable sometimes about asking others to buckle up while I'm driving, I do it anyway.

I'm reminded of a speech in my speech class in college. It was about seatbelt safety, and the person mentioned some of the excuses that people give for not wearing theirs. The only thing that comes to mind was the response he gave to those excuses: "Going through the windshield is lots worse than having rumpled clothing, being in a bit of discomfort or being perceived as 'uncool'"

I have to agree...

Why would you do anything else but wear your seatbelt?




Isn't your life worth 5 extra seconds?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never drive or ride without mine, so I'm only venturing an opinion ungrounded in experience. I think it's quite likely that it's not a conscious or rationalized decision - I think most people simply don't think to put it on.

Daishi said...

But, WHY?

I wonder if people would be better served by having the automatic belts that move along the doorway, thus making the choice for them.

Habits are powerful things, aren't they? I'm the same way, in that I can't drive without my belt.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean, why? If you don't think about it, there's no why. That is, no rational why. It just is.

Daishi said...

'Why' was a rhetorical question. I realize that if a person doen't think about it, there is no rationalization. It seems that the glut of seatbelt awareness ads would do something to raise the visibility of the issue.