Monday, August 21, 2006

Where the elite satisfy their most wicked desires...

Ah, the old-school satisfaction.

I suppose I ought to warn you away from clicking the link if you are at work, as it is a game site. I'd hate for anyone to get in trouble because of me.

This link will interest only Ben and I, probably.

Over the last 2 weeks, I've been groovin' to play MechWarrior, Dune 2, and BattleTech:The Crescent Hawks Inception. I finally found a site that has them and lets you download them for free. I'm pretty sure I have the disks Ben gave me somewhere for these games, but it's easier to download. The best part is that the dowloaded games nest well with a program called DOSBox, which clocks down the processor so that I can play MechWarrior at 4.5 MHz instead of 1.5 GHz. Actually, I can set the processor speed to whatever I want it to be, which is helpful.

I'm really rusty, though. I used to be able to take my Marauder solo and wipe out 4 BattleMasters without getting my 'Mech shot out from underneath me. Right now, even with 3 others to back me up, I still get wiped.

Of course, this game evokes extreme senses of nostalgia in me, of when Ben and I would go to Brian Garret's house and sit side by side down in the basement in front of the VGA monitor. We would share the keyboard and head-shoot every 'mech we could. We rocked! I think I was 14 and Ben was 15. Ah, the memories.

So, I managed to get those 3 games, along with Scorched Earth for Val, for free. Rock, rock on!

By the way, Joel's birthday was Saturday. He's 21 now, and will be home in a few weeks. So, drop him a line and wish him a Happy Birthday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting find. I lost interest in playing computer games years ago, but that site brought back a few good memories and let me engage in one of my worst vices - nostalgia. That's it for me, though.

Daishi said...

And that's OK. It sure did bring back fond memories, especially when I went to Dustball. By the way, I'm getting better, in that my marksmanship is improving. Another improvement is that I no longer stay up all night to play. Hopefully that made you smile a bit.