Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Time for something different...

I thought that I would try and post from my journal entries, editing out anything I deem too personal to be seen by the masses (all 4 of you  :D) I do this so I can share about how I am doing, some insights I have had, and because I seem to be unable to post about anything mundane anymore. Let me know if you have any insights to share, if you would please, because I need all of the help I can get. Any references to a Workbook are from Colleen Harrison’s inestimable book He Did Deliver Me From Bondage. I’m pretty sure it’s available @ Deseret Book, and definitely from LDS Addiction Recovery Services. Here goes...

   Wed 7Jan09 – Alma 36.3 ‘...for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.’ I know that this is true. I think I have always known it is true. Why haven’t I followed it, then? I think I have gotten tired of fighting against my temptations/addictions. When I am the only one fighting, being only mortal, I get tired real quick. However, if I will exercise my faith to call upon the Father to help me, He doesn’t get tired. I only have to exercise my agency to call upon Him, and He will help me. He won’t not help, because He has said He will help all those who call upon Him.  

   Why do bad things happen to good people/Why did God let this happen? This question frustrates me because it paints God as some sort of mean person who sends down calamities upon His children just for fun. That, or God is somehow supposed to shield us from anything bad ever happening to us. Perhaps the error stems from having an incorrect perception of the purpose of life. The purpose is to gain experiences so we can become both more Christ-like, and become more like the Father. There is no other way. And while I feel frustrated that people ask such an ignorant question, I also feel pity for them because they obviously don’t understand why bad things have to happen to everyone. The other thing, in conjunction with this, is the question ‘What do I need to learn/know from this experience?’

   Mosiah 2.21 ‘...I say that if ye should serve Him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.’ “The truth- that we can’t work our way to worthiness...” (Workbook,  22) I can’t perfect my self to Heaven. Even if could come close, which is obviously impossible (for me), Christ’s grace and mercy are still necessary to celestialize me. There is no other way. That doesn’t mean that I should stop doing good things, but I have to realize that the only thing I can do is seek after Their will. They want me to help and serve others, and to perfect myself, but first realizing that my power to do so is contingent upon my asking for Their help. The only thing They ask is that I give my agency to them, which is the only thing I have to give.

 

0 comments: