Monday, June 19, 2006

Better or Longer?

Here is my link/topic for the day.

This is an interesting dichotomy. Living longer isn't necessarily better, is it? I can imagine some poor person, 55 or so, who has diabetes, ED, heart disease and the onset of Alzheimers.

Doesn't sound too good, does it?

I know I wouldn't want to live another 22.6 years in a deteriorating condition.

To contrast, imagine a 55 year old who has no diabetes, a healthy heart with NO heart disease, an exerciser, a healthy sex life, and a clear and lucid mind.

Sounds lots better, doesn't it?

I'm a believer that "We are what we eat." I think everyone in the US understands this saying from an intellectual standpoint, but food and cravings exert a significant pull over humans, and Americans in particular.

All it takes is willpower, something which a lot of people have trouble exercising. Speaking of exercising, that's something else that people have trouble doing.

Sorry, I'll get off my spinach carton. I just think that a long life isn't good if you aren't healthy. But, your chances of a long, healthy life increases when you eat right.

It's difficult for me to be patient when people say "I couldn't ever do that" to anything. Self-defeating. Tell the truth to yourself. Say "I don't want to stop enough. It isn't important to me."

Then, at least you're being honest.

Honestly, I know I need to be patient with others. That's one of my faults. I'm working on it...

Honest!

0 comments: