Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Those are pretty good odds...

Here is your link for today.

I don't want this post to sound callous........Really, I don't.

These are people whose chosen profession is inherently dangerous and/or risky. So, I would think that 1 in 100 odds are pretty good.

Of course, I say that secure in the knowledge that the most dangerous thing I do each day is commute to work. But, I haven't chosen to fly planes, racecars or anything else that is dangerous.

They have engineers and safety people who help prep the shuttle so that everything can be as safe as possible. But, of course, the possibility exists that something catastrophic will happen.

I suppose that I am puzzled as to why something like this is news-worthy. They are in a dangerous profession. I'm reminded of a line from the movie Armageddon: "Hey, Harry, you realize that we're sitting on top of 1 million pounds of rocket fuel, 1 nuclear waepon, and in a vehicle with 500,000 moving parts, all built by the lowest bidder. Kinda makes you feel good, doesn't it?"

I don't want you all to think I'm flippant. I'm not. I hope nothing bad happens to them.

But, we all take our chances every day, don't we?

0 comments: