Thursday, June 22, 2006

Why is there no justice?

I've reading "The Work and the Glory" by Gerald Lund. I've mentioned before that I am a fan of historical fiction, so I like the 2 books I have read thus far.

What I didn't realize was, that by reading a book about the Restoration and the persecutions endured by those heroes of the start of this last dispensation, how vivid the feelings I would feel would be. I have a very good imagination, which is one of the reasons I love to read so much. Therefore, it is quite easy for me to visualize how difficult it must have been for them.

I still shake my head that such blatant cruelty and ignorance was tolerated, even encouraged. Today there are watchdog groups, lobbyists, PAG's (political action groups), special interest groups, etc. There wasn't anything that organized back then.

My link for today regards challenges and perfection.

The question came into my mind:" Why did Joseph Smith suffer so much? Didn't he do enough?"
This thought was immediately followed by the understanding that we are sent here to learn patience, love, charity, all the Godly attributes necessary for our exaltation. I also understood that following the commandments brings trials, pain and growth. The real purpose of life is to grow, not for life to be easy. Sucks, but it's the truth.

I also remembered something that Brigham Young said, to the effect that people who become Gods in their own right have to experience all the things that are ordained for them to become like our Heavenly Father. Therefore, suffering and challenges are a necessary part of life.

Jesus had to suffer the things He did in order to become the Savior of us all, and to become like God. Joseph understood that "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" involves sacrifices, faith, pain, suffering and charity. The only way those characteristics can be developed is through the exercise of those characteristics in situations that call for them in our lives.

The Refiners fire burns away impurities and His hand molds us in to what we hope to become. Fire burns, doesn't it? It's not comfortable nor easy, and it's not meant to be. It's meant to help change us and help us be better. The thing is, we have to choose to change, to choose to subject ourselves to more growing experiences and pain. That's the only way we get better, more Christ-like, isn't it?



Because, in the end, there is only one way to become like God, isn't there?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is justice?